- The levator scapulae attaches from the medial border of the scapula (from the root of the spine to the superior angle) to the transverse processes of C1-C4.
- Extends the neck at the cervical spinal joints
- Laterally flexes the neck at the cervical spinal joints
- Ipsilaterally rotates the neck at the cervical spinal joints
- Elevates the scapula at the scapulocostal joint
- Downwardly rotates the scapula at the scapulocostal joint
- There is a twist in the fibers of the levator scapulae so that the highest fibers from the scapula attach the lowest on the spine and vice versa.