About The Art & Science of Kinesiology
The Art & Science of Kinesiology (ASK) covers all things musculoskeletal (neuro-myo-fascio-skeletal), from foundational anatomy and physiology (kinesiology) and pathomechanics, to hands-on assessment and treatment techniques.
ASK is primarily dedicated to manual and movement therapists, instructors, trainers, and physicians, but is oriented toward anyone interested in manual and movement therapy.
About Dr. Joe Muscolino
- Dr. Muscolino is a licensed soft-tissue oriented chiropractic physician with a private practice in Stamford, CT. He has been in practice since 1985.
- Dr. Joe taught anatomy and physiology at Purchase College, State University of New York (SUNY) for five years.
- He also taught kinesiology and musculoskeletal and visceral anatomy, physiology, and pathology courses at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy (CCMT) from 1986 – 2010.
- Dr. Muscolino is also an approved provider by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) for continuing education (CE) credit for massage therapists and bodyworkers and runs numerous advanced study workshops.
- He offers multiple levels of Certification in Clinical Orthopedic Manual Therapy (COMT) around the US and the world.
- COMT is open to all manual and movement therapists/instructors/trainers, including massage therapists, Rolfers, physical and occupational therapists, Pilates and yoga instructors, fitness trainers, and university professors. COMT covers orthopedic and palpation assessment, body mechanics for deep soft tissue manipulation, stretching (beginner and advanced), and Arthrofascial Stretching (AFS) – Soft Tissue (Grade IV) Joint Mobilization.
- He also has a video streaming subscription service for manual and movement therapists called LearnMuscles Continuing Education (LMCE).
- LMCE contains the content of all of Dr. Joe’s DVDs, as well as full lectures and workshops, pdfs of two of his books, all his published articles, and MOST importantly, over 400 shorter video lessons, with seven (7) new video lessons added each and every week! And all of the old content always remains! LMCE also contains over 160 hours of free CE credit through the NCBTMB. And, once you sign up, the price is a lifetime-guaranteed price that will never go up (as long as you remain subscribed).
He also runs in-services for instructors of massage therapy, covering topics such as how to teach muscles, muscle palpation, kinesiology, and more; as well as in-services for Pilates and yoga instructors and fitness trainers on all subjects of musculoskeletal anatomy and physiology, and kinesiology.
- Dr. Muscolino served as a subject matter expert on the Exam and Continuing Education committees of the NCBTMB.
- Dr. Muscolino is the author of eight major publications with Mosby of Elsevier Science and two major publications with Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns, and Stretching, 2nd Edition
- Kinesiology, The Skeletal System and Muscle Function, 3rd Edition
- The Muscular System Manual, The Skeletal Muscles of the Human Body, 4th Edition
- Manual Therapy for the Low Back and Pelvis: A Clinical Orthopedic Approach
- Advanced Treatment Techniques for the Manual Therapist: Neck
- Musculoskeletal Anatomy Coloring Book, 3rd Edition
- Flashcards For Bones, Joints, and Actions of the Human Body, 2nd Edition
- And he has also contributed to and written the foreword for multiple textbooks by other authors in the field of manual and movement therapy.
- Dr. Muscolino writes a regular feature article for Massage & Bodywork Magazine. He has also written articles for the Massage Therapy Journal (mtj), the Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies (jbmt), Massage Magazine, Massage Today, the Journal of the Australian Association of Massage Therapists, the Australian Journal of the Association of Massage Therapists, Massage Australia Magazine, Terra Rosa e-magazine, and the e-newsletter Deep.
- Joe Muscolino’s wife, Simona Cipriani, is a certified Pilates Instructor and has been teaching Authentic Pilates since 1995. She owns and runs her own Pilates Studio, The Art of Control (please click here for her website), in Stamford, CT at Synergy Health & Fitness. She is also a licensed Massage Therapist in the states of Connecticut and New York and a Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner.