COMT Certification – Regional Approach comprises five in-person workshops* and a series of book-based home-study courses (please scroll to the bottom of the page for more information on these book-based home-study courses).
* any one of the five in-person workshops can be taken as a home-study course on LearnMuscles Continuing Education (LMCE)(free for LMCE subscribers)
COMT Certification – Regional Approach and COMT Certification – Skillset Approach cover the same in-person workshop content. The difference is the organization in which the content is delivered. COMT Certification – Regional Approach addresses the content by region of the body. In each regional workshop, the various skillsets (orthopedic and palpation assessment, body mechanics, stretching, joint mobilization [arthrofascial stretching], and treatment strategy) are applied to the region of that workshop. Whereas COMT Certification – Skillset Approach is organized by the skillset.
HOME-STUDY version of COMT Certification - Regional Approach
- This is a home-study version of the Level 1 COMT Certification – Regional Approach.
- All five 2-day COMT regional approach workshops can be taken/attended as home-study courses on line at LearnMuscles Continuing Education (LMCE), free for LMCE subscribers.
- View the workshop and pass the quiz to earn the Certificate of Achievement as proof of having completed the home-study course (NCBTMB CE credit is also earned).
- Note: The home-study book-related course modules are also required, also free on LearnMuscles Continuing Education (LMCE) for LMCE subscribers.
Become COMT Certified
Clinical Orthopedic Manual Therapy (COMT) Certification – Regional Approach involves a series of five in-person workshops and two sets of home study courses. Together, these workshops and courses address clinical orthopedic assessment and treatment techniques, as well as musculoskeletal pathology, and kinesiology for the entire body.
Becoming COMT certified means that you will learn how to remedy specific musculoskeletal complaints with which your client/patient presents. These workshops are all hands-on and always address each assessment and treatment technique from the point of view of critical thinking so you can creatively apply your techniques for maximal results!
Content of COMT Workshops
These hands-on workshops will cover the following assessment and treatment protocols: (Note: These courses can be taken in any order.)
- Efficient body mechanics for deep pressure massage – Learn how to work from your core so you work smarter instead of harder.
- Orthopedic assessment testing – Determine which treatment techniques are safe and effective to use by having a clear assessment picture of your client’s/patient’s condition.
- Stretching – Learn how to figure out how to most effectively stretch each muscle of the client instead of having to memorize stretching protocols.
- Advanced stretching techniques – Learn how to use contract relax (CR), also known as post-isometric relaxation (PIR), also known as proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) technique; and also agonist contract (AC) technique (the basis for Aaron Mattes – Active Isolated Stretching [AIS] technique)
- Arthrofascial Stretching (AFS): Soft Tissue Joint Mobilization for Manual Therapists – AFS is the most powerful technique available to most massage and manual therapists. It is the only method that can release individual hypomobile segments of the spine. Learn how to perform this technique safely and effectively.
- The neck workshop also teaches how to treat the anterior neck safely and effectively.
Each in-person workshop offers a Certificate of Completion and continuing education (CE) hours through the National Certification Board for Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB). Each home study course is divided into chapters/modules and offers Certificates of Achievement and CE hours through the NCBTMB (see workshops / home study page for more details).
After completing all five in-person workshops and two sets of home study courses, a Certificate of Achievement is awarded that certifies you as a Clinical Orthopedic Manual Therapist (COMT), designating you as an advanced orthopedic therapist.
The In-Person Workshops are:
Click each link for more information on each individual COMT Regional Approach workshop:
- COMT Techniques for the Neck (2 days – 16 CE hours)
- COMT Techniques for the Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage (2 days – 16 CE hours)
- COMT Techniques for the Low Back and Pelvis (2 days – 16 CE hours)
- COMT Techniques for the Upper Extremity (2 days – 16 CE hours)
- COMT Techniques for the Lower Extremity (2 days – 16 CE hours)
Book-Based Home-Study Courses
The home-study courses are (Note: Most of these home study courses earn NCBTMB CE hours credit):
- Kinesiology home-study course (all chapters/modules)
- Muscular System Manual home-study course (chapters/modules 4-19 only)
- You may take the home-study courses in any order that you like, but it is generally recommended to complete the Kinesiology Book first.
The Home-Study Courses are exclusively available through our LearnMuscles Continuing Education (LMCE) subscription service at no additional cost beyond the subscription fee.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Cancellation Policy: All fees paid for workshops are non-refundable. You may find someone to take your place, but must notify us in advance of the person’s name and contact information.