- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- The external abdominal oblique attaches from the abdominal aponeurosis, pubic bone, inguinal ligament, and the anterior iliac crest to the lower eight ribs.
- The external abdominal oblique flexes, laterally flexes, and contralaterally rotates the trunk at the spinal joints.
- It also posteriorly tilts and ipsilaterally rotates the pelvis and elevates the same-side pelvis at the lumbosacral joint.
- The external abdominal oblique also compresses the abdominal contents.