- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- Transverse processes of C7-T11 to ribs #1-12.
- Elevate ribs #1-12 at the sternocostal and costospinal joints.
- Laterally flex, extend, and contralaterally rotate the trunk at the spinal joints.
- Muscles that elevate ribs generally act toward inspiration.
- Most of the lower levatores costarum muscles have two slips of tissue instead of one.
- When there are two slips of tissue from one transverse process, the muscles are called levatores costarum longi and levatores costarum brevis.