- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Obliquus Capitis Inferior is a member of the Suboccipital Group, which is composed of the:
- Rectus capitis posterior major
- Rectus capitis posterior minor
- Obliquus capitis superior
- Obliquus capitis inferior
- The obliquus capitis inferior attaches from the spinous process of the axis (C2) to the transverse process of the atlas (C1).
- Ipsilaterally rotates the atlas at the atlanto-axial joint.
NOTE: The name obliquus capitis inferior is a misnomer given that this muscle does not attach onto the head (“capitis”).