- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- The rectus femoris of the quadriceps femoris group attaches from the AIIS to the patella and then onto the tibial tuberosity via the patella ligament.
- Flexes the thigh at the hip joint.
- Anteriorly tilts the pelvis at the hip joint.
- Extends the leg (and/or thigh) at the knee joint.
NOTE: The rectus femoris is the only one of the four quadriceps femoris muscles that crosses the hip joint.