- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- Depress ribs #8-10 at the sternocostal and costospinal joints.
- Elevate ribs #10-12 at the sternocostal and costospinal joints.
- The subcostales are located internally within the thoracic cavity.
- Generally muscles that depress ribs act to create expiration.
- Generally, muscles that elevate ribs act to create inspiration.
- Sometimes, a muscle that depresses lower ribs can facilitate inspiration by stabilizing the lower ribs against the upward pull of the diaphragm, thereby assisting the diaphragm’s dome to drop (increasing the vertical diameter of the thoracic cavity to allow for expansion of the lungs), thereby acting to assist with inspiration.