- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Vastus Intermedius is a member of the Quadriceps Femoris Group, which is composed of the:
- Rectus femoris
- Vastus lateralis
- Vastus medialis
- Vastus intermedius
- The vastus intermedius attaches from the anterior shaft and the lateral lip of the linea aspera of the femur to the tibial tuberosity (via the patella and [infra-]patellar ligament).
- Extends the leg at the knee joint.
NOTE: The vastus intermedius lies deep to the vastus lateralis in the lateral thigh.