- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Gastrocnemius is located in the Superficial Posterior Compartment of the (lower) leg. The muscles in the superficial posterior compartment are:
The Gastrocnemius has two heads: Lateral head and Medial head.
- Medial and lateral femoral condyles to the calcaneus via the Achilles/calcaneal tendon.
- Plantarflexes the foot at the ankle joint.
- Flexes the leg at the knee joint.
- Inverts (Supinates) the foot at the subtalar joint.
- The two heads of the gastrocnemius are two of the three heads (along with the soleus) of the Triceps Surae Group.
- Inversion is the principal cardinal-plane (frontal-plane) component of the oblique-plane motion pattern of supination.