- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Rectus Capitis Posterior Major is a member of the Suboccipital Group, which is composed of the:
- Rectus capitis posterior major
- Rectus capitis posterior minor
- Obliquus capitis superior
- Obliquus capitis inferior
- The rectus capitis posterior major attaches from the spinous process of the axis (C2) to the inferior nuchal line of the occiput.
- The superior attachment is onto the lateral 1/2 of the inferior nuchal line.
- Extends the head at the atlanto-occipital joint.
- Laterally flexes the head at the atlanto-occipital joint.
NOTE: The rectus capitis posterior major lies directly lateral to the rectus capitis posterior minor.