- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- The subclavius attaches from the first rib to the inferior aspect of the clavicle.
- Depresses the clavicle at the sternoclavicular joint
- Elevates the first rib at the sternocostal and costospinal joints
- The “subclavius” is named for being “sub” / under the clavicle.
- If the subclavius is tight (overly facilitated), it can contribute to costoclavicular syndrome (a type of thoracic outlet syndrome).