- The clavicle is one of two bones in the shoulder girdle (the scapula is the other).
- The clavicle articulates with:
- the sternum medially/proximally, forming the sternoclavicular joint.
- the scapula laterally/distally, forming the acromioclavicular joint.
- The word clavicle means key because the clavicle is shaped like an old-fashioned key.
- The articulation between the clavicle and the sternum (sternoclavicular joint) is the only osseous articulation between the bones of the upper extremity and the axial body.