- The sternum is located in the anterior chest.
- The sternum has three parts: manubrium, body, and xiphoid process.
- The sternum articulates with:
- The manubrium is the superior aspect of the sternum; the largest part of the sternum is called the body; the xiphoid process is the most inferior aspect of the sternum.
- The xiphoid process remains cartilage for a long time, not ossifying until well into adulthood.
- The sternocostal joints are actually between the sternum and the costal cartilages of the ribs.