- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Tibialis Posterior is located in the Deep Posterior Compartment of the (lower) leg. The muscles in the deep posterior compartment are:
- Posterior tibia and fibula to the navicular tuberosity.
- Plantarflexes the foot at the ankle joint.
- Inverts (Supinates) the foot at the subtalar joint.
- The tibialis posterior is sometimes referred to as “Tom” of the “Tom, Dick, and Harry” group.
- Inversion is the principal cardinal-plane (frontal-plane) component of the oblique-plane motion pattern of supination.