- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- Internal surfaces of the sternum, xiphoid process, and adjacent costal cartilages to the internal surfaces of costal cartilages #2-6.
- Depress ribs #2-6 at the sternocostal and costospinal joints.
- Generally muscles that depress ribs act to create expiration.
- The transversus thoracis is located internally within the thoracic cavity.