- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The muscles or the Auricularis Group are located in the scalp. The muscles of the scalp are:
- Galea aponeurotica to the superior ear.
- Galea aponeurotica to the anterior ear.
- Temporal bone to the posterior ear.
- Elevates the ear (auricularis superior).
- Draws anteriorly the ear (auricularis anterior).
- Draws posteriorly the ear (auricularis posterior).
- The auricularis muscles are nonfunctional in many people.
- The auricularis muscles are extremely functional in many animals, e.g., dogs.
- The temporoparietalis can also elevate the ear.