- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Extensor Digitorum Longus is located in the Anterior Compartment of the (lower) leg. The muscles in the anterior compartment are:
- Proximal anterior fibula to the dorsal surfaces of the middle and distal phalanges of toes #2-5.
- Extends toes #2-5 at the metatarsophalangeal and proximal and distal interphalangeal joints.
- Dorsiflexes the foot at the ankle joint.
- Everts (Pronates) the foot at the subtalar joint.
- The distal tendons of extensor digitorum longus spread out to create the dorsal digital expansion of toes #2-5.
- Eversion is the principal cardinal-plane (frontal-plane) component of the oblique-plane motion pattern of pronation.