- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- Extends the neck at the cervical spinal joints
- Laterally flexes the neck at the cervical spinal joints
- Ipsilaterally rotates the neck at the cervical spinal joints
- Elevates the scapula at the scapulocostal joint
- Downwardly rotates the scapula at the scapulocostal joint
- There is a twist in the fibers of the levator scapulae so that the highest fibers from the scapula attach the lowest on the spine and vice versa.
- Much of the levator scapulae is superficial in the posterior triangle of the neck.