- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Scalene Group is composed of the:
- The anterior scalene attaches from the anterior tubercles of the transverse processes of C3-C6 to the first rib.
- The middle scalene attaches from the posterior tubercles of the transverse processes of C2-C7 to the first rib.
- The posterior scalene attaches from the posterior tubercles of the transverse processes of C5-C7 to the second rib.
- As a group, the scalenes elevate the first and second ribs at the sternocostal and costospinal joints.
- As a group, they flex, laterally flex, and contralaterally rotate the neck at the spinal joints.