- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- The serratus posterior superior attaches from the spinous processes of C7-T3 to ribs 2-5.
- The serratus posterior superior elevates ribs 2-5 at the sternocostal and costospinal joints.
- There are two posterior serratus muscles: serratus posterior superior and serratus posterior inferior. There is one anterior serratus muscle: serratus anterior.
- Generally muscles that elevate ribs act to create inspiration.