- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Stylohyoid is a member of the Suprahyoid Group, which is composed of the:
- The stylohyoid attaches from the styloid process of the temporal bone to the hyoid bone.
- Elevates the hyoid bone.
- Extends the head at the atlanto-occipital joint.
NOTE: The stylohyoid is the only member of the suprahyoid group (and the entire hyoid group) that does not have a line of pull (direct or indirect) upon the mandible.