- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
There are four Infrahyoid muscles and four Suprahyoid muscles:
Most of the attachments of the hyoids are indicated in their names:
- As a group, the infrahyoids attach superiorly into the hyoid bone.
- As a group, the suprahyoids attach inferiorly into the hyoid bone and superiorly into the mandible.
- As a group, the infrahyoids depress the hyoid bone and assist in flexing the neck at the spinal joints.
- As a group, the suprahyoids elevate the hyoid bone and assist in flexing the neck at the spinal joints.
- The digastric, mylohyoid, and geniohyoid also depress the mandible at the temporomandibular joints.