- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Thyrohyoid is a member of the Infrahyoid Group, which is composed of the:
- The thyrohyoid attaches from the thyrohyoid cartilage to the hyoid bone.
- Depresses the hyoid bone.
- Flexes the neck at the spinal joints.
- Assists, via stabilization of the hyoid bone, depression of the mandible at the temporomandibular joints (TMJs).
NOTE: The thyrohyoid can be considered to be an upward extension of the sternothyroid.