- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- The longus colli attaches to the anterior bodies and anterior tubercles of the transverse processes from T3-C2 and the anterior arch of the atlas (C1).
- The longus capitis attaches from the anterior tubercles of the transverse processes of C3-C5 to the occiput
- As a group, the longus colli and capitis flex, laterally flex, and contralaterally rotate the head and neck at the spinal joints.