- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
- Sphenoid bone to the internal surface of the mandible.
- The mandibular attachment is onto the angle and inferior border of the ramus.
- Elevates the mandible at the TMJs.
- Protracts the mandible at the TMJs.
- Contralaterally the mandible at the TMJs.
- The medial pterygoid and masseter form a sling that supports the mandible.
- The medial pterygoid is said to have a deep head and a superficial head. The deep head attaches onto the sphenoid; the superficial head attaches onto the palatine bone and the maxilla.