- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Nasalis is a muscle of facial expression of the nose. The muscles of facial expression of the nose are:
- Depressor Septi Nasi
- Levator Labii Superioris Alaeque Nasi (also a muscle of facial expression of the mouth)
The Nasalis is said to have two parts: Alar Part and Transverse Part.
- Maxilla to the cartilage of the nose and the opposite-side nasalis.
- Flares the nostril (alar part).
- Constricts the nostril (transverse part).
- Flaring the nostrils helps to take in a deep breath. It is also part of the expression of anger.
- The alar part of the nasalis is also known as the dilatator naris.
- The transverse part of the nasalis is also known as the compressor naris.