- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Levator Labii Superioris is a muscle of facial expression of the mouth. The muscles of facial expression of the mouth are:
- Levator Labii Superioris Alaeque Nasi (also a muscle of fascial expression of the nose)
- Levator Labii Superioris
- Zygomaticus Minor
- Zygomaticus Major
- Levator Anguli Oris
- Depressor Anguli Oris
- Depressor Labii Inferioris
- Orbicularis Oris
- Maxilla to the upper lip.
- Elevates the upper lip.
- Labii superioris in Latin means upper lip.
- The contraction of the levator labii superioris to lift the upper lip can contribute to the facial expression of smugness, contempt, or disdain.