- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Mentalis is a muscle of facial expression of the mouth. The muscles of facial expression of the mouth are:
- Levator Labii Superioris Alaeque Nasi (also a muscle of fascial expression of the nose)
- Levator Labii Superioris
- Zygomaticus Minor
- Zygomaticus Major
- Levator Anguli Oris
- Depressor Anguli Oris
- Depressor Labii Inferioris
- Orbicularis Oris
- Mandible to the fascia/skin of the chin.
- Elevates the lower lip.
- Everts the lower lip.
- Wrinkles the skin of the chin.
- Eversion of the lower lip is to protrude and curl the lower lip outward.
- Contraction of the mentalis can contribute to the facial expressions of uncertainty/doubt and pouting.
- Mentalis is Latin for chin.