- Click here for access to the full Anatomy Glossary.
- Right click on the image for a downloadable file of this muscle.
- Use of this artwork requires proper credit to be given (Permission: Dr. Joe Muscolino. www.learnmuscles.com – art work Giovanni Rimasti)
The Buccinator is a muscle of facial expression of the mouth. The muscles of facial expression of the mouth are:
- Levator Labii Superioris Alaeque Nasi (also a muscle of fascial expression of the nose)
- Levator Labii Superioris
- Zygomaticus Minor
- Zygomaticus Major
- Levator Anguli Oris
- Depressor Anguli Oris
- Depressor Labii Inferioris
- Orbicularis Oris
- Mandible and maxilla to the lips.
- Compresses the cheeks against the teeth.
- Buccinator is Latin for trumpeter.
- Contraction of the buccinator occurs when a brass or woodwind musician plays their instrument.
- Blowing up a balloon requires contraction of the buccinator.